follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: JA-5
Corporate Name: Palmetto Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Palmetto Lumber Company, a subdivision of Ford-Isbell at Fort Worth, with the main plant at Oakhurst. A. C. Ford, President. By 1928, the main plant was at Jasper with offices at Houston. E. A. Oualline.
Location: Jasper: Palmetto Road and railroad tracks
County: Jasper
Years in Operation: 14 years
Start Year: 1915
End Year: 1928
Decades: 1910-1919,1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1915 to at least 1928
Town: Jasper
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Longleaf and shortleaf yellow pine
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 75000: 1928
Capacity Comments: 1928: 40,000 feet daily cut, with a 75,000-feet daily capacity.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular sawmill, planing mill, edgers, trimmers, logging road, dry kiln
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Gulf, Coast, & Santa Fe
Historicial Development: Ellis A. Oualline was reported by The Gulf Coast Lumberman in 1915 to be building a sawmill at Jasper in order to cut timber on land owned by A. C. Ford and the Gibbs heirs of Houston. Palmetto Lumber Company bought the E. A. Oualline sawmill at Jasper in 1918, reported the same trade journal. Palmetto ordered machinery and floor plans that year from Lufkin Foundry & Machine Company. It was Palmetto's only operating mill in 1928. Although he has the beginning date wrong, Marvin P. Hancock, in “History of City of Jasper, Texas and Folklore,” notes that “the Palmetto Lumber Company, with A. Black as president. . . . operated near the depot and was located across the road from the A. L. Black home on the depot road between the switch track and the creek . . .”.
Research Date: JKG 9-1-93, MCJ 12-07-95
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson