Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PK-59
Corporate Name: J. M. Greer & Bro
Local Name:
Owner Name: J. M. Greer & Bro. Walter W. Greer and J. Marshall Greer.
Location: Greer: Highway 59 and FM 393
County: Polk
Years in Operation: 6 years
Start Year: 1905
End Year: 1910
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1905 to 1910
Town: Greer, a mile north of Goodrich
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 32 in 1905
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber, cotton, cornmeal
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 20000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 20,000 feet daily in 1906
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East & West Texas at Greer
Historicial Development: J. M. Greer's mill was first listed in the Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association, January 1905 as being at Goodrich on the tracks of the Houston East & West Texas. Next listed at Greer in the Southern Industrial and Lumber Review in 1906, this mill was cutting 20,000 feet daily. Greer and Goodrich are about a mile apart on the Houston East & West Texas.. It was listed with the LCA again in 1907. Greer probably sold some of his sawmill equipment to Lynch Brothers in 1910 who had been sawing lumber at Neuville since 1903. Walter W. Greer and his brother, J. Marshall Greer, were prominent in Goodrich and Polk County commercial matters. According to Ruth Peebles, in 1898, they owned a grist mill, a cotton gin, and a general store in Goodrich.
Research Date: MCJ 02-27-96
Prepared By: M Johnson