follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: WD-70
Corporate Name: Waterman Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Waterman Lumber Company. Rowland Gwynne Andrews Lumber Co. James Alexander Stinson. Johans Burnett. Isham Burnett.
Location: 1860: Pct No. 4, two miles west of Holly Springs. 1870: Pct No. 5. (Stinson, Stinson's Mill, and Speer)
County: Wood
Years in Operation: 74 years
Start Year: 1853
End Year: 1926
Decades: 1850-1859,1860-1869,1870-1879,1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909,1910-1919,1920-1929,
Period of Operation: Burnett, 1853 to 1867. Stinson, 1867 to 1906. Andrews, 1906 to 1926.
Town: West of Holly Springs
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber and grain and cornmeal and flour.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 1860: 26- horsepower water-powered mill. Steam machinery later.
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: 1860: 200,000 board feet. 1870: 800,000 board feet. 1880: Census: 960,000 feet for two mills.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, grist mill, cotton gin and press, and grist mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Later, Missouri, Kansas & Texas, and the Texas & Pacific
Historicial Development: Isham Burnett, according to the Texas Big Sandy Project map, had a sawmill in 1854 in Wood County located on the Holly Springs Road. Johans Burnett's sawmill was d in the census of 1860 to be a capital investment of $3,000, with $500 invested in 1,000 sawlogs. Three men were employed at a total monthly wage of $36. The sawmill manufactured 200,00 feet of pine lumber valued at $2,000. The wooden overshot wheel was later converted to an iron wheel. James Alexander Stinson established a large plantation west of Holly Springs in 1860, in Wood County. Stinson owned or supervised more than forty slaves on his property. Between 1865 and 1867, Stinson established a water-powered sawmill on the Mill Creek terminating in the "Floating Glade", near the earlier site of Isham Burnett's sawmill. He had fourteen tenant homes for mill workers. The community was variously known as Stinson, Stinson's Mill, and Speer. Stinson bought Burnet's mill in 1867, giving him two sawmills. The mill continued to be water- powered and milled lumber, ground cornmeal and flour, ginned and pressed cotton under Stinson until 1906. In the Census of 1870, the capital investment of Stinson's sawmill was d to be $5,000. In ten months of operations, ten men were employed at a total wage of $4,000. The sawmill manufactured 800,000 feet of lumber valued at $16,000. The grist mill produced cornmeal valued at $4,000. In the Census of 1880, Stinson reported two mills. Mill No. 1, logged from Clear Branch, was a water-powered turbine circular sawmill, generating eighteen horsepower. Twelve workers were employed at peak production and ten normally. For ten-hour shifts, they were paid $1.00 to $1.50. Stinson paid $1,600 total in wages. The sawmill, from $2,750 in supplies and sawlogs, manufactured 480,000 feet of lumber, worth $5,550. Rowland Gwynne Andrews Lumber Company bought the operation in 1906, who sold it to Waterman Lumber Company in 1916. Waterman ran the plant for about ten years.
Research Date: MCJ 04-22-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson