follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: WD-59
Corporate Name: Peter Magnus Gunstream (Gundstream)
Local Name:
Owner Name: Peter Magnus Gunstream (Gundstream). John M. Roberts, ca. 1880 to ca. 1900; Dr. John Shields, dates unknown; Joe Saxon, before 1918; Jim Corbitt, 1918; and W. S. Martin, 1938.
Location: 1860: Precinct 4. 1880: Precinct 6. One-half mile north of Holly Springs
County: Wood
Years in Operation: 85 years
Start Year: 1854
End Year: 1938
Decades: 1850-1859,1860-1869,1870-1879,1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909,1910-1919,1920-1929,1930-1939
Period of Operation: 1854 to 1880. Possibly closed during the Civil War and Reconstruction. 1880 to 1938.
Town: North of Holly Springs
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber and cornmeal
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Water-powered. In 1880, generating fifteen horsepower from a turbine water wheel.
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: 1860: 200,000. 1880: 400,000 feet.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1860: sawmill and grist mill. 1880: circular sawmill.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The Gunstream sawmill, according to the Texas Big Sandy Project, was located in 1854 about one-half mile north of Holly Springs. It would saw timber under various owners until 1938. The Pete Gundstream (Gunstream) sawmill operation, according to the 1860 Census Products of Industry Schedule, was d to be a capital investment of $2,000, with $750 invested in 1,500 sawlogs. Three men were employed at a total monthly wage of $36. The sawmill manufactured 200,00 feet of pine lumber valued at $2,000. The sawmill operation was not enumeration in the 1870 Census. It may have stopped during operations during the years of the Civil War and Reconstruction. The Peter Gunstream (note the changes in spelling) sawmill was enumerated in the 1880 Census. The negligible spelling differences and the fact that the facility was a water-powered operation in both the 1860 and 1880 Censuses gives credence to believe it was the same sawmill if not located in the same site. The mill was d to be a $1,500 capital value, employing fifteen men at peak production and ten normally. The employees worked ten-hour shifts for daily wages of $1.00 to $3.00. Gunstream paid a total $1,000 in wages. From $2,200 in supplies and sawlogs, the mill manufactured 400,000 feet of lumber worth $4,000. The woods crews logged from Neal Creek in 1879 to 1880. The Big Sandy Project lists the owners after Gunstream as John M. Roberts, about 1880 to 1900; Dr. John Shields, dates unknown; Joe Saxon, before 1918; Jim Corbitt, 1918; and W. S. Martin, 1938.
Research Date: MCJ 04-22-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson