follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SH-262
Corporate Name: W. J. Goodwin
Local Name:
Owner Name: W. J. Goodwin. Goodwin & Miller in 1906.
Location: Four miles northeast of Center then two miles east of Shelbyville
County: Shelby
Years in Operation: 5 years
Start Year: 1906
End Year: 1910
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: About 1906 to 1910
Town: East of Shelbyville
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Curtis Dixie D circular sawmill with an 18-inch mandrel and one 54-inch circular saw.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: Goodwin owned two mills between 1906 to 1910: first northeast of Center, then east of Shelbyville. Goodwin, on April 28, 1906, mortgaged to W. D. Morgan a boiler and a steam engine, located four miles northeast of Center at the Goodwin and Miller sawmill. On April 18, 1907, Goodwin mortgaged to Dilley & Son for $125 a Curtis 2-saw 30-inch edger, front and rear rollers, a 14-inch tooth-saw, and an Ames steam engine. On August 8, 1907, Goodwin mortgaged to Dilley & Son a Curtis Dixie edger. Goodwin mortgaged all lumber to be cut to J A Barnes from November 27 to December 1, 1907, to be delivered to Barnes' planing mill. On January 30, 1908, Goodwin mortgaged to L. F. Owens a stack of lumber containing 952 pieces long. Goodwin mortgaged his sawmill to Cason, Monk for $200 on February 12, 1908. On September 29, 1909, Goodwin mortgaged to Dilley a steam engine, a boiler, a Curtis Dixie “d” sawmill, one edger, and two saws. On November 6, 1909, Goodwin mortgaged to W. J. Owens, a steam engine, a boiler, a Curtis D sawmill and carriage, a Curtis edger, located two miles east of Shelbyville at his mill. A “Jack” Goodwin in 1908 mortgaged his cut to B A Barnes. “Jack” could be John H. Goodwin. John Goodwin was listed in the 1910 census as a “sawmill owner” living at residence 131 in Center, precinct 1. Robert Miller was listed in the census of 1910 as a “sawmiller” living at Precinct 2, residence 117, in Shelbyville. W. J. Goodwin may be the Jack Goodwin running a sawmill in Shelby County at the same time. See Jack Goodwin entry.
Research Date: MCJ 03-02-96
Prepared By: M Johnson