follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SH-81
Corporate Name: Potts & Collins
Local Name:
Owner Name: Potts & Collins
Location: Mill located one mile south of Duff with post office at Neuville
County: Shelby
Years in Operation: 7 years
Start Year: 1904
End Year: 1910
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1904 to 1910
Town: One mile south of Duff
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 20000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 20,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Gulf Colorado & Santa Fe
Historicial Development: A Santa Fe circular of 1904 indicates that the sawmill firm of Potts and Collins was one of the first into the new lumber area of Duff and Neuville. According to maps at Stephen F. Austin State University's East Texas Research Center, the Shelby community of Duff is located next to the tracks of the Gulf Beaumont and Great Northern (Gulf Beaumont & Santa Fe), north of McFarland, south one mile from Neuville, and one-half mile west of Highway 2140. The Handbook of Texas noted that Neuville, founded in 1904, was named for a family that had lived in the area since the 1840s. W. M. Collins was running a sawmill in Shelby County during 1909. He mortgaged his entire cut for $2,000 to the San Augustine Grocery Company in November 1909. The company was operating a commissary for its workers. The 1910 census noted William Collins had a sawmill on San Augustine Road, residence 55, Precinct 1, Center. In 1910, Potts and Collins had accepted a mortgage on some sawmill machinery owned by L. R. Bagwell. In January 1910, they in turn mortgaged the machinery to C. P. Lynch.
Research Date: MCJ 03-01-96
Prepared By: M Johnson