follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-256
Corporate Name: W. T. Wilson Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: W. T. Wilson Lumber Company. W. G. Harrington Lumber Company. W. G. Harrington and Frank Summers. [possibly sold by 1906 to Craven Lumber Company]
Location: Nacogdoches: Fredonia Street and Texas & New Orleans tracks
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 3 years
Start Year: 1903
End Year: 1905
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1902 to 1905
Town: Nacogdoches
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: 1827 in 1905
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 65000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 65000 feet daily in 1906
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & New Orleans at Nacogdoches
Historicial Development: The Nacogdoches newspaper noted in July 1902 that “W. G. Harrington is putting up a planer on the Lee mill site, instead of Mr. Lee, as stated yesterday. Mr. Lee, however, is superintending the work. Joe Langston is keeping books for Mr. Harrington.” By February 1903 the Harrington planing mill was operating in Davidson's pasture, which had been rented from Lee. Harrington was ordered to move it in February 1903 when the Texas & New Orleans rented or leased the area for its expansion efforts in making Nacogdoches the freight headquarters for the railroad company. Harrington moved the planing mill to South Street and the Texas & New Orleans tracks. He and Frank Summers were buying lumber and equipment at E. J. Hunt's bankruptcy sale at Appleby in July 1903. Harrington and Summers bought a planer shed and some lumber at $4.10 per thousand feet. In August 1903, the rail switches to the planer were being completed. According to the January 1905 issue of the Lumbermen's Credit Association's Reference Book, W.T. Wilson ran a wholesale lumber yard in Nacogdoches in connection with a planing and grain mill located at South Street and the Texas & New Orleans tracks. He had bought the Harrington planing mill in Nacogdoches during the spring of 1905.
Research Date: MCJ 02-10-96
Prepared By: M Johnson