follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: CH-27
Corporate Name: William Icet
Local Name:
Owner Name: William Icet, W. S. Icet, H. C. Icet
Location: Cove, near Old River, west of Wallisville
County: Chambers
Years in Operation: 23 years
Start Year: 1893
End Year: 1915
Decades: 1890-1899,1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1893 to 1898, 1902 to 1915
Town: Cove
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: None
Historicial Development: The area of Cove, in the Old River area, west of the Trinity River, has been largely devoted to flood-plain rice farming. Apparently, though, lumber existed in this area a hundred years ago and more. William Icet and his sons, W. S. and H. C., ran a sawmill from 1893 to 1898, then after the Galveston hurricane, the mill reopened in 1902 and ran until 1915. The reason for its closing was probably the results of the great hurricane of 1915, which damaged or destroyed more than thirty sawmills in Texas and Louisiana.
Research Date: MCJ 6-23-94
Prepared By: M Johnson